When I first visited Australia I had no real intention of spending much time in Brisbane. With so many attractions and activities available up the East Coast and a seriously large mass of country to explore beyond the East Coast Brisbane just seemed like another city.
My extended stay in Brisbane came about as one of those series of unfortunate events but at the end I was pretty pleased that I got the chance to explore Brisbane and here are my top ten reasons to visit and stay in Brisbane for a few days.
Top Ten Reasons to Visit Brisbane
1. South Bank – a little piece of everything in 17 hectares. From sub-tropical rainforest, a man-made beach, all the major cultural sites, food from around the globe, markets, awesome shopping, parks, walks, rollerblading and riverside promenade. There is nothing more refreshing than a city with a difference.
2. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary – the ultimate symbol of Australia, this is the best place to guarantee seeing yourself a Koala as well as learning all about them and the conservation behind it all. Not only koala’s here though – kangaroos, tasmanian devils, wombats – pretty much the place to explore and learn all about the awesome Aussie wildlife.
3. There are lots of young people. – 24% of the Brisbane population are aged between 25-35 which means backpackers can meet lots of like-minded people.
4. The River Cruise – it may just be me but there is something pretty cool about a river cruise and a Brisbane river cruise is a must. It’s fun, a little bit different to the usual backpacker activities and you get a nice meal whilst relaxing amongst Brisbane’s attractive surroundings.
5. Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium and Cosmic Skydome – this is cheap and great fun. Watch the Brisbane sky come to life.
6. Moreton Island – the often missed island by backpackers who are racing up to Fraser Island but you can, and really should, do both.
7. Brisbane International Film Festival – held every July this is a great time to enjoy Brisbane with films aplenty in the modest metropolis. Even if you don’t get the chance to see any films you can enjoy the cafe culture of the South Bank and read all the reviews in the fresh air. This really is a great time to visit Brisbane.
8. Mount Coot-tha. The Lookout – the only place to get panoramic views of the city and Moreton Bay. If you have a little bit of cash to spare then dinner at the restaurant or cafe is a cool treat. The other genius about Mount Coot-tha is that the walk up there is really not so bad.
9. It’s not called Bris-vegas for nothing. The fun to be had in Brisbane is endless.
10. The weather – one of the best climates in Australia – pleasant and warm pretty much all year round.
So there they are ten reasons to visit and stay in Brisbane for a while, although there are plenty more this should keep you going for starters.