New Zealand. It is a country so diverse and so beautiful that there’s no wonder why it plants itself on the top of many traveller’s to do lists. There’s a little something for everyone, from the great walks to the mountains, from the hot springs to the hobbits and from the beaches to the lakes. There’s more than enough reasons to validate this amazing country as the best place on the earth, but we’ve narrowed it down to just 59 (yep that’s right, JUST 59)!
1. No part of the country is more than 128 km from the sea. What does that mean? Yep, in just over an hour’s drive, no matter WHERE you are in New Zealand, you can reach the ocean!
2. There are no snakes (take that Australia)
3. Tongariro Crossing (home to Mt Doom) is a walk like no other on the planet!
5. Only 5% of New Zealand’s population are human (the rest are animals)
6. World class skiing and snowboarding
7. World class mountain bike and hiking trails
8. Abel Tasman National Park will blow your mind
9. The world’s first ever commercial Bungy site is located in Queenstown
10. You’d be unlucky to have visited New Zealand and never spotted a Dolphin
11. The locals are awesome!
12. The Haka will make your body shake
13. Huka Falls is New Zealand’s most photographed national attraction for a reason
14. Cape Reinga Sand Dunes are great for sandboarding
15. Milford Sound has been voted by TripAdvisor as the world’s best travel destination
16. Christchurch’s Restart Mall following the Earthquake is a prime example of just how positive the Kiwis are
17. There’s no other country on the planet that has a town named “BULL” which has each of its local businesses take on the town’s name. Town Hall = Social – a- BULL. The Bank = Bank – a – BULL. It’s unforgetaBULL!
18. New Zealand is home to the longest place name in the world: “Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu”
19. Blue Lake in Nelson Lakes National Park has the clearest water in the world
20. There are too many amazing places to visit that will blow your mind
21. Including Rotorua’s volcanic crater lakes in Wai-O-Tapu Geothermal Wonderland
22. And Cathedral Cove
23. And Tunnel Beach
24. And Hobbiton
25. Auckland’s islands are stunning – Waiheke Island and Rangitoto are a must
26. Wellington is actually the coolest little city with amazing bars, restaurants and great coffee!
27. There ain’t no party like a Queenstown party
28. Skydiving over Lake Taupo is amazing
29. And Queenstown
30. And Lake Wanaka. In fact, Skydiving everywhere in New Zealand is amazing!
31. The cheese, wine, chocolate and meat are absolutely world class!
32. You can walk up the world’s steepest street in Dunedin
33. New Zealand is home to more species of Penguin than anywhere else on the planet
34. Airport landings are down right spectacular
35. One third of the country is covered in National Park
36. Raglan – New Zealand’s famous surf beach – is way more cooler than Byron Bay
37. There are no nuclear power stations in New Zealand
38. New Zealand was one of the first countries to give women the right to vote
39. There are more vending machines in Japan than there are people in New Zealand
40. Spotting the Glow Worms in Waitomo Caves is an unbelievable experience
41. The Southern Alps are a sight for sore eyes
42. Lake Wanaka is one of the most beautiful towns on the planet
43. You can Jet Boat just like the royals did through Queenstown!
44. Rotorua’s Kaituna River is home the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfalls
45. Wellington’s Te Papa Museum is FREE and one of the best museums EVER!
46. Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers will blow your mind
47. So will Moeraki Boulders
48. and Puzzling World!
49. It is home to black sandy beaches
50. And towering volcanic craters
51. Every major town or city has a nearby Lake or Beach
52. Gisborne is the first place in the world to see the SUNRISE!
53. You can Luge at Skyline Rotorua and Skyline Queenstown!
54. Where else can you SkyJump from a tower with views of a neighbouring volcano?
55. New Zealand’s Prime Minister once appointed a national Wizard
56. Where else in the world can you wear Jandals?
57. There are 9 Great Walks that will blow your mind
58. There are too many off the beaten track places of paradise to choose from and in just a short drive you can find yourself with your own private beach, lake or waterfall
59. It is one of the last habitable countries in the world to become occupied by humans