One word. Melbourne. The world’s most liveable city needs no introduction. So we’re going to skip the lengthy intro and jump straight into why you need to drop everything you’re doing right now and book yourself on the next plane to Melbourne.
1. There’s no doubt that Melbourne knows how to brew a great coffee. Skinny soy latte anyone?
2. It’s a city of art and passion. It’s the kind of city where 200 graffiti street artists secretly come together to voluntarily revamp 20 of Melbourne’s iconic grafitti lined laneways
3. It’s the home of hidden laneway and rooftop bars. Our favs? Sister Bellas, Rooftop Bar, Section A, Boston Sub… the list goes on…
4. Craving a taco? You’ll always find a food truck festival near by
5. Melbourne is the home of the old and the new. The architecture through the city streets oozes a combination of history and progressive modernism
6. Did you know that there is a Cat Cafe? Coffee and Cats. Heaven
7. The live music scene is the bom diggity. Metal? Punk? Rock? Indie? Electronic? Dubstep? Jazz? Melbourne has it all (including its very own sound Melbourne Bounce)
8. There’s ALWAYS an event going on. This month? Check out the Melbourne International Comedy Festival
9. Melbourne has a buzzing market scene – from clothes, food, live music, flavoured tea, sangria, night markets, bits and bobs! Check out our Melbourne Market guide
10. And who doesn’t want to tick of the Great Ocean Road?
11. Have you heard of the Grampians National Park? It’s the perfect outer city getaway and is just a 2 hour drive away
12. 40% of Melbournians are not actually from Melbourne which means we are a pretty multicultural and open minded city
13. In fact Melbourne was the world’s first city to have a gay and lesbian radio station. We are a liberal bunch
14. St Kilda Beach sees some of the best sunsets in Australia
15. You’ve heard of St Kilda right? It’s the raddest beach side suburb around. Check out our guide to Free or Cheap things to do in St Kilda.
16. You can even spot the tiny penguins on St Kilda pier every night at dusk
17. And speaking of Penguins, did you know that you can watch the famous Penguin Parade at Phillip Island every evening throughout the year? There are 100s of the little fellas! Oh and Phillip Island’s surf beaches are amazing
18. Melbourne is home to some of the most delicious international eats going around
19. Who doesn’t love a BYO and cheap feed in Chinatown?
20. And did you know that there is free Wi-Fi at Federation Square?
21. Melbourne Aquarium has a giant King Crab
22. and Melbourne Zoo is pretty damn good too
23. It’s the sporting capital of Australia and hosts many major events including the Australia Open, the Grand Prix and of course you must check out an AFL game!
24. Melbournians sure know how to party and Chapel St is the home of late night clubs. Party at 10:00AM? Why not!
25. And the northern suburbs are so cool that we actually feel embarrassed using the term ‘cool’
26. Melbourne is extremely bike friendly especially for tourists. You will find over 50 bike stations located around the city for rental and the bike trails are epic!
27. Our favourite? The bike trail from the city, through to St Kilda Beach and Brighton Beach is definitely worthy of an Instagram selfie
28. Did we mention the public transport system? Nowhere is unreachable in Melbourne
29. Oh and there is a free city tram for tourists that provides commentary on the city’s iconic landmarks and buildings
30. And have you heard of Wilson’s Promontory? It’s a national park just 2 hours south of Melbourne and we think, one of the most underrated and untouched places in Australia!
31. And then you’ve got the Dandenong Ranges – 1,000 steps anyone?
32. Oh and the Yarra Valley? Every day you you can jump on day tour to the world class wineries (and good cheese) in the Yarra Valley
33. Melbourne also has some pretty amazing gardens – Royal Botanic Gardens, St Kilda Botanic Gardens and Brunswick’s Edinburgh Gardens are fav places to take a few beers and a BBQ
34. and if you fancy a pizza Lygon Street (also known as Little Italy) is lined with traditional Italian restaurants and al fresco dining
35. And did you know that Eureka Skydeck has the fastest elevator ride in the southern hemisphere? And of course, 360 degree views of the city and its surrounds
36. Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market’s car park sits on top of a cemetery – eerie much?
37. And here’s a jaw dropper… Victoria’s Alps receive more snowfall than the Swiss Alps!
38. Did we mention the coffee? And the food? And the nightlife?
Visit Melbourne and stay with us at Nomads Melbourne, Nomads All Nations or Nomads St Kilda Beach