When staying in Byron Bay you might want to visit the local markets. The most popular and well known are the Byron Bay Community Markets which is held every first Sunday of the month, although there are additional markets during summer and at Christmas time. Local markets are a great way to get to understand a bit more about a place. Byron Bay is a prime example… Wandering around the Byron Bay markets gives you a chance to get to see what the locals get up to! From hand crafted products to tie dye pants to the drumming circle, hey dude we’re hippies.
Why you should visit the Byron Bay Community Markets
- To buy Pizzaloca (get chili topping)
- Listen to the live music acts, there are some random ones in there and sometimes some well known people who just happen to be passing through town!
- Buy some local natural handmade products – like hemp hand cream or soap
- Eat a dark chocolate coated frozen mango
- Make a rainbow candle
- Have your tarot cards read
- Buy a handmade dream catcher (what?)
- Lay in the sun and watch the hippies.
A lot of the time you can also experience things like reflexology and tarot readings for a cheaper price than the shops in town. Or if your pockets are empty just lay in the sun and watch the fire twirlers. But let’s not forget the awesome selection of food to choose from (Jamaican chicken and sugar cane juice are personal favourites), so make sure you’re hungry. The scents wafting your way are irresistible. Mmmm chicken.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth, try the ‘creamed fruit’, pretty sure it’s better than ice cream. Ladies you’ll also find a lot of local designers selling their clothes, bags and jewelry for cheaper than you would find in the stores, check out Buffalo Girl, she makes some beautiful 70’s inspired leather work.
If you don’t happen to be in town when the Byron Bay community markets are on, then there are other markets in Byron Bay to discover in addition to the ones listed below.
Monthly Sunday Markets in Byron Bay
- Byron Bay Community Market
- Lismore Car Boot Markets
- The Channon Craft Market
- Lennox Head Community Market
- Mullumbimby Car Boot Market
- Uki Buttery Bazaar Market
- Lismore Car Boot Market
- Bangalow Market
- Nimbin Market