Magnetic Island can be found on the East Coast of Australia in North Queensland. The majority of backpackers coming to Australia travel up or down the East Coast to see the sights, so just take a slight detour and when you’re on your way from Cairns to Airlie Beach (2 major tourist hot spots) stop in Townsville (the capital of North Queensland) and then catch a ferry to this beautiful island.
But why should you go there? We’ve put together 10 photos and reasons why Magnetic Island should be on your Australia Bucket List!
10 reasons to visit Magnetic Island – in no particular order
1. This little touch of paradise sits on the Great Barrier Reef – a few hours south of Cairns – and is a great place to Snorkel or learn how to Scuba Dive.
2. The Beaches and Bays are absolutely pristine!
3. There are over 800 Koalas living on the island.
4. The best way to explore Magnetic Island? Hire a Mini Moke!
Heading up the East Coast? Stop by Magnetic Island and explore this little touch of paradise by Moke – it’s a mini car! @simon_pilgrim looks like fun! ・・・ Driving around Magnetic Island in a topless car with my best friends, sun shining & lots of laughs was just what I needed. #magneticisland #horseshoebay #Australia #queensland #townsville #toplesscar #moke #travel #seeaustralia #instatravel #adventure #gez #jumpinmycar #basemagneticisland #xbase #tropics #TNZAF15 #backpacking
5. You will wake up to this every morning…
6. And the sunsets are pretty amazing too.
7. Magnetic Island was home to Australia’s only Full Moon Party which has now evolved into a massive IslandLife Beach Festival – only at Base Magnetic Island.
8. There are loads of walking trails and view points (and therefore great photo opportunities!).
9. 54% of Magnetic island is National Park land.
6 days stuck on an island with this lovely lady. Life is pretty damn good. #magenticisland #maggie #maggieisland #townsville #qld #visitqueensland #queensland #sunrise #newday #adventure #explore #outdoors #nature #tropical #tropicalisland #island #photography #nikon #loveher #love #couplegoals #travel #holiday #wander #livealittle #getoutdoors
10. And you might spot one of these little guys if you’re lucky… Wallabies!
View this post on Instagram
Convinced? If you want to find out more about visiting Magnetic Island or you’re ready to book your accommodation or tours then visit Mad Travel Shop online – http://madtravelshop.com, or one of our Mad travel desks, which can be found in any Nomads Hostel in Australia or New Zealand.
Alternatively check out Base Magnetic Island and you can book any tours or trips with them when you arrive (just be aware that during high season accommodation and some tours can fill up quickly.)