Want to know the Top Ten Activities in Queenstown, New Zealand? Well you're in the right place. This was a very hard Top 10 to compile because with Queenstown being the adventure sports capital of New Zealand, choosing only the Top 10 is obviously a difficult task.
We made a list here at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers Hostel for our backpacking guests after feedback from them and it only seems right to share them with the rest of the traveling world.
Here we go ladies and gents, it's Queenstown's Top 10.
Top 10 Queenstown Activities (in no particular order)
- Jetboating: Standard Queenstown activity really, you come here, we put you on a stupidly fast boat and throw you around in it
- Bungy / Swing: Come on kids, we're known for it down here. It's like this, you come here, we tie a rope around your ankles, and push you off a very high platform.
- Skydiving: I'm sure you're getting the idea now. You come here, we strap you to someone else who has a parachute and you jump out of a plane.
- Rafting: Keen on the water activities? We have some pretty special rapids down here in Queenstown, get involved.
- Aerobatic Adventure Flying: When was the last time you got in the front of a tiny wee plane, with the pilot in the seat behind you, and flew about upside down and the like. I'm fairly certain your answer is... never. You can do that in Queenstown, aren't we nice to you?
- Horse Riding: Sure, you can horse ride anyway, horses aren't exactly an endangered species. But in Queenstown, we can hook you up with a trip to Glenorchy to ride out there. And boy oh boy, that scenery is INCREDIBLE. It's Lord of the Rings country out there guys, and you can even ride in a place called Paradise. Name says it all really. (For more information on Glenorchy check out "Glenorchy | A Stunning day away from Queenstown" )
- Milford Sound: Rudyard Kipling described it as the eighth wonder of the world. Alrighty then. Get on the bus, get on a plane, get in a helicopter. Milford Sound is amazing in the rain even - now that's cool.
Gondola and Luge: This is one for everyone. People think the luge is for kids but frankly, that's not true. It's pretty much guaranteed that you and your mates will get up there and, after your first trial run, will start getting ultra competitive and racing down the track (Even though you're not really supposed to race each other who can help themselves being a little bit competitive?).
- Kayaking: Back to Glenorchy and out for a casual kayak. It's ridiculously picturesque, and if you want to you can even go at sunset and then have your dinner cooked by the fantastic chefs at Kinloch Lodge. Sweet deal.
- River Boarding: How good is this? Put on a wetsuit, and they'll throw you in a river with some epic rapids armed only with a body board. Daring? No! Chicken? Surely not.
So there you have it folks. There's LOADS to do here down in Queenstown - New Zealands adventure sports capital. Come see the friendly cats down here at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers hostel and we'll sort it all out for you. Too easy.
About the Author: Ellie currently works at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers and has been lucky enough to try out most of the above Queenstown Activities! Check out Nomads Youtube Channel for videos of Ellie doing the Canyon Swing and Nevis Bungy.
Thanks to attto.org.nz and flightsafrica.co.uk for the images