Due to being about a tenth of the size of Australia, New Zealand is often seen as a stop off point for people en route to, or leaving Australia and many backpackers only give a few weeks of their travel time to the country. Although a whistle-stop tour of New Zealand can be done in a matter of weeks, there is so much to see and do a year is often not enough.
The greatest thing about New Zealand is that even after one week you feel like you have lived here for years.
Kia Ora (“may you be well and healthy” in Maori).
Both the North and South Island of New Zealand are equal in spectacular scenery, with an abundance of wildlife, history and culture to keep you occupied. (And of course plenty of Lord of the Rings tours!)
In the North Island:
- Auckland - Take to the water, explore Auckland and its surrounding islands in the Hauraki Gulf
- Bay of Islands (Paihia) - Visit the tropical rainforest and luxurious beaches of Northland
- Coromandel (The) - a stunning peninsula a short drive from Auckland
- Rotorua - Start your adrenaline adventure by whitewater rafting in Rotorua
- Taupo - Try your hand at trout fishing in Taupo, one of the last, truly wild trout fisheries in the world.
- Tongariro - Do the famous Tongariro Crossing
- Waitomo - Visit the world famous Waitomo Caves and see the glowworms.
- Wellington - Feed your cultural side in the country's capital and bohemian quarter, Wellington.
In the South Island:
- Abel Tasman National Park - discover golden sandy beach paradise
- Christchurch - Although the Earthquake closed some of the CBD, Christchurch is still open for business and there's plenty to do
- Dunedin - walk up one of the steepest residential streets in the world!
- Franz Josef - see the famous Glacier up close
- Kaikoura - swim with dolphins or go whale watching
- Fiordland National Park - get your hiking boots out
- Milford Sound - balance your yin and yang in Milford Sound with it's breathtaking mountains and waterfalls
- Queenstown - Challenge your fears and let the adrenaline consume you in Queenstown with extreme adventure
- Stewart Island - a birdwatchers paradise, spot wild kiwi birds!
- Wanaka - take to the skies in beautiful Wanaka