So everyone knows that a visit to the Great Barrier Reef is essential when in Cairns but there are so many other unmissable things to do that you might not be aware of before you arrive. Apart from a huge number of free and cheap things to do in Cairns (perfect for all you backpackers on a strict budget) here are 10 more must do things in Cairns...
1. Visit one of the many swimming holes around the area - Crystal Cascades is only a 10 minute drive from Nomads Cairns Backpackers Hostel - ask reception for directions.
2. Take part in some free events on the Esplanade - free Zumba, boot camp, water aerobics and even bouldering. Different events every day of the week. Check out the Cairns Esplanade website for more details.
3. Take a drive and stay overnight up in Cape Tribulation and enjoy the Daintree National Park (try the locally made ice cream)
4. Enjoy breakfast at Lilypad cafe - the most amazing food in town.
5. Do the Red Arrow or Blue Arrow walk through our local rainforest - you can reach the entrance by foot from the hostel and the views over Cairns are spectacular.
6. Come to Cairns in Aug/Sep for the Cairns festival - Cairns comes alive over 4 weeks of shows, arts, culture, history, special events and concerts culminating with the annual Carnival on Collins in early September
7. Visit Cairns in July for the brilliant Cairns Show - a proper local show bringing the Aussie bush to the city - see wood chopping, sheep shearing, motorbikes, livestock and even pumpkin competitions! Enjoy the fairground and grab yourself a showbag
8. Visit one of our islands - Green Island for an up close encounter with some massive crocs and great snorkelling off the beach or Fitzroy Island for the Frog and Toad monthly island party and sea kayaking and snorkelling
9. Go wakeboarding at Cable Ski Cairns - so much fun and hilarious to watch your mates face planting the water every 5 mins! Free BBQ on a Thurs night
10. Hire a car and do a gourmet trail around the area - Mango Wine, locally made coffee and chocolate, cheese and fresh mangos - spoil yourself!
For more info on the above and loads of other things to do check out our Cairns Travel Guide or just come and see any of the lovely staff at Nomads Cairns Backpackers Hostel and we'll tell you more about our must do things in Cairns.
Author: Nomads Cairns