Backpackers need cheap drinks, or pretty much cheap anything while they're travelling around the world and Auckland is no different. We must remember that not everyone can be a 'flashpacker' and New Zealand (especially Auckland) is relatively expensive (compared to S E Asia!) and so here is a helping hand for backpackers...
The top 5 places to get cheap drinks in Auckland.
1. Provedor - Provedor can be found just before the main part of Aucklands Viaduct Harbour. Provedor has some amazing drink deals including a Happy Hour every day from 3pm to 7pm where you can get $4 Heineken, Tap Beer and House Spirits. You can also get $3 Heinekens on a Wednesday! Well worth a visit and a good viewing point to watch some of the big cruise ships coming and going.
2. Cassette Nine - Pop Panic at Cassette Nine happens every Tuesday night and starts at 9pm, you'll get a free drink on arrival as well as some great tunes being played all night (all your favourite pop hits from the last few decades) you can get some pretty sweet drink deals too ($5 Margheritas), some tasty tacos for only $4 too and even a chance to win some travel prizes in their Riff Raffle.
3. The Camel Bar - our favourite sister hostel's bar is a backpacker favourite for a reason. Combine good atmosphere, a crazy range of music (depending upon who's on bar duty) and excellent drink specials, and you can't really go wrong. Also you can now get some tasty Bar Snacks from only $5!
4. Spitting Feathers - is an English bar in the heart of the city just on Wyndham Street. They have Thirsty Thursday offering $3 Heineken's and $5 pizza's. They also do an amazing traditional Sunday Roast (on Sunday's, of course ha) for only $15.
5. Frenzi Bar Crawl - Not just one bar but four! On the weekly Frenzi Bar Crawl you get an amazing 4 drinks for only $10. The guys will also take you to 4 bars in town which you may not have been to before starts at The Camel Bar at 8pm - find out more about the Frenzi Bar and The Big Night Out Bar Crawl here
Now, I'm also going to give a special mention to Fort Street Union Bar (shown in picture) - Our very own Bar next door to Nomads Auckland. Although for backpackers the drinks are not the cheapest in town (but they are still a good price and they have some great specials) if you stay at Nomads Auckland you can get $6 house beer, $7 house wine and and $1 slice pizza on Tuesdays with your keycard! Sweet!
Hopefully we have helped point you in the right direction to find cheap drinks in Auckland. For further advice about cheap drinks, come and have a chat with the guys at Nomads Auckland.