Missing your family? Feeling lonely while travelling, despite the loud gang of backpackers in your dorm room? Feeling depressed for leaving your beloved ones because of this crazy idea that got into your head to travel around the world?
Don't worry, you're not the only one out there with the same issue! I have to tell you, although some people may appear like they've got stone hearts and can't feel a thing even on the other side of the world, I'm pretty sure they're just lying to themselves and trying to appear as strong as possible.
I believe in humanity (despite all the bad news we seem to hear) and I believe that everyone's felt that agony of missing someone / or even your whole family, especially when you're on the other side of the world. And sometimes being surrounded people can make you feel lonelier.
Here are some solutions for me, you and the crowd outside the hostel that's smoking and rethinking their life choices.
- Make sure you call your beloved ones and let them know that even though you're on the other side of the world you still love them and miss them every second of your life.
- Despite the hurting feeling when missing someone do not regret your choice of travelling and leaving your beloved ones at home, did you hear me? DO NOT REGRET traveling! (It's the most brilliant thing you've decided to do! Travelling makes you wiser, gives you heaps of experiences and moments you won't forget and makes you realize in the first place that you have feelings and that there are people you miss!)
- Grab a beer with a friend you met whilst travelling and share some experiences, get personal, get your feelings out there, they'll understand you (considering they'd be in the same in position) If they don't give a sh*t about your sadness - DON'T GIVE A SH*T about them too! (They don't deserve it!)
- Browse through your friends / family's photos and have a good cry! It always helps - as I said we're human so we cry.
- Do not be ashamed of the fact that you're missing people - do not pretend to be stronger than you are = it may lead to unforeseen circumstances (like drinking far too much and then as well as feeling lonely you'll have that post drinking fear about wat you got up to the night before.)
- Listen to some good music that will make you feel better!
- Don't forget to have fun in every adventure you throw yourself in, so when you get back home you have a bunch of awesome stories to tell!
- Grab your teddy bear (don't pretend you didn't bring one) and have a good cuddle!
If that wasn't helpful enough, ask the staff at your hostel for more good ways to cheer yourself up! Staff at reception are always willing to help poor sad people like us who start feeling a bit lonely whilst travelling!
image from http://nickfalkner.files.wordpress.com/