Here to help you keep costs down while traveling on a budget with a cheap, easy and healthy backpacker meal each week.
Clearly not a great meal for those with a nut allergy, however Satay Chicken with Rice is a seriously tasty (and easy) meal for the rest for us!
Cooking & Preparation Time 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 cup Rice
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 400g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 180g green beans, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) satay sauce
- Place the rice in a large heatproof bowl and cover with 6 cups of boiling water and add 1 tsp of butter and microwave for 10 – 15 mins, making sure you stir every 3 – 5mins and until water has absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the fry pan on high and add the oil.
- Once oil is heated add the chicken and stir for 5 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Add the beans, carrot and Stir for 3 minutes.
- Add sauce to the fry pan and toss until heated through and well combined.
- Add cooked rice to individual bowls.
- Divide the fry pan mixture between the bowls coating the rice with the mix.
OR - have chicken satay skewers like in the picture instead - skewers are a great snack when you have friends round.
Budget Super Saver Tips
- Swap it: For a different flavour, swap the chicken thigh fillets for beef stir-fry strips.
- 'Share with friends', you can easily make a huge batch and split the cost between your fellow backpackers
- Stretch out the meal by adding extra rice, onion and vegetable, such as capsicum, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms. Again depending on your liking.