Backpackers who visit Australia and or New Zealand will inevitably take to the skies, attach themselves to a stranger and jump out of a plane. Skydiving is the ultimate in adrenaline seeking activities.
Both Australia and New Zealand offer backpackers the chance to skydive everywhere you go but some skydives are more spectacular than others.
What you see when you are floating through the skies really makes the difference between a skydive and a total life-changing experience. Here we have compiled the top ten places to skydive within Australia and New Zealand.
10. Lee Point Beach, Darwin Skydiving onto a beach rather than an airfield is awesome enough but this skydive offers you views of the coastline and the Northern Territories unique landscape.
9. Byron Bay, NSW One of Australia's greatest and most famous beach towns, Byron Bay is often an optimum place for whale spotting. Doing this from a plane and then as you're parachuting down is even more spectacular. Read more...
8. Bay of Islands, North Island, NZ Not often chosen as a hot spot to skydive in New Zealand but why not? The Bay of Islands itself offers lush rainforest and many remote beaches so why not get an even better birds eye view of New Zealand's top point.
7. Abel Tasman National Park, South Island, NZ It may be New Zealand's smallest national park but small it is not. From the skies you can take in the view of 23,000 hectares of protected coastline.
6. Fox Glacier, South Island, NZ Recommended by Lonely Planet and one of New Zealand's most famous skydives, the fox glacier is one of the greatest places to skydive. This skydive offers you just about every type of scenery you could wish to see from the Southern Alps to the ocean to the rainforest. Looking down at the fox glacier is pretty cool too when you're free-falling.
5. Wollongong Beach, Sydney There are plenty of places to skydive in Sydney but this is the only beach skydive and the only place to see the bustling city right next to the serene coastline and possibly a few whales and dolphins whilst you're there.
4. Taupo, North Island, NZ The famous New Zealand North Island skydive still attracts backpackers in their thousands for stunning views over Lake Taupo and the sights of New Zealand's central plateau. New Zealand just wouldn't be the same without this skydive. Read more...
3. Mission Beach, QLD Arguably the adrenaline capital of Australia this skydive gives its jumpers prime viewing of Queensland's tropics, Great Barrier Reef, islands off the coast and a large stretch of beach. However, you may have to go up again in order to take it all in.
2. Gantheaume Point, Broome, WA This isn't a well-known skydive but it offers some of the most incredible and unique scenery. Here you can jump out over deep red rocks contrasted with the vibrant blue waters of the Indian Ocean. The colours will have you mesmerised.
1. Lake Wanaka, South Island, NZ Number one on our list is a New Zealand skydive that literally tops them all. This skydive offers immense panoramic views of Mt. Cook, Mt. Aspiring and the world heritage Aspiring National Park rainforest, Lake Wanaka and other alpine lakes and miles of forestland. This really is skydiving New Zealand with a difference. Read more...
If we are honest any of the above would give you the experience of your life so why not just work your way through the list and skydive your way around Australia and New Zealand. If you need some help to choose your Skydive Australia location, check this out!